Show Your Appreciation
National Principals Month is more than just acknowledging the importance of the principalship—it also helps to strengthen schools and communities. Use these ideas to help you plan celebration this October.
During National Principals Month, create a fun one- to two-minute video with other students, teachers, and/or parents telling us why you love your principal and what he or she means to you, your school, and your community. The winner will be announced on the NASSP website. Learn more about the contest here.
Send your principal an e-card thanking them for all they do. Just choose an e-card, add your message, and schedule the date and time for the card to be delivered to your principal—we’ll take care of the rest.
Social Media Toolkit
Use our sample social media posts to spread the word and celebrate your principal this October.
Plan a Celebration
Here are more ways for students and parents to celebrate National Principals Month:
- Write a thank you note for all that your principal does, with specific examples of how he or she has helped you/your family. Invite the PTA to participate in this activity.
- Contact local businesses seeking donations for items such as thank you or blank note cards, which students can use to write thank-you notes to the principal. You might work with the school faculty to add the note writing as a class or club project. Notes can then be distributed to principals’ mailboxes.
- Contact other parents and arrange to provide a weekly treat for the principal during the entire month. For example, week one can be a hot breakfast; week two can be cupcakes, etc.
- Negotiate with the local papers to run ads celebrating principals’ every day acts by listing some of the great things going on in the school (include candid photos of the principal being a great school leader).
- Write letters to the superintendent showing support of the principal. Use specific examples of things he or she has done to make the school successful.
- Send flowers to the principal as a festive way to promote a sense of celebration.
- Write a testimonial about your principal that would be appropriate for use during announcements at the school.
- Contact local businesses to arrange for discounts for principals during October.
- Ask local restaurant(s) to donate a gift certificate to your principal in honor of National Principals Month.
- Invite your local paper to secure a column each week to spotlight a local principal with a profile and photograph.
- Purchase an ad in the local paper, radio, or television station in appreciation for your principal.
- Hold a fundraiser and donate the proceeds to a charity in your principal’s name.
- Together with other parents and/or teachers, buy space in the local paper to celebrate the principals’ every day acts by listing some of the great things going on in the school, and include candid photos of your principal being a great school leader.